Today we will be learning how to add Meta Tags on your Blogger blogspot blog's home page. This will also be the first of our series in optimizing your blogger blogspot blog.
What In The World Are Meta Tags?
Meta tags are html tags that is being read by the search engines as they rank the pages of your blog. It is very important in the sense that they are the one that is telling the search engines to rank your this particular page higher in particular keywords.
But first and foremost, you must understand that blogger blogspot has its own limitations. But you want something free right? So I think it's not wrong to spend a little sweat. But don't worry, I we will try to deal with them one by one so that we can maximize everything with your blog.
Here are several weaknesses that you can find in Blogger blogspot by default:
- Meta descriptions and keywords are not supported. As I said this is very important. Without this, your traffic will suffer a lot.
- Title tags are not supported either.
- Permalinks are limitted to number of Characters.
- Limited Adsense placements.
As I said, we will try to deal with them one by one as we go along with this series. And I promise you that this will be exciting since we will be learning a lot from here.
Adding meta tag description in your in your Blogger template can cause serious problems in your optimization if not done properly. This most common mistake makes Blogger use the same meta tags for all your posts and pages. And this can result to lower page rankings.
Unlike hosting your own Wordpress blog which uses plugins for easy optimization, in Blogger, you will have to add certain codes in your template manually.
Ok, here we go, ready to make your hands dirty?
How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blogspot Blog for Home Page
1. Login to Blogger account.
2. Click Design > Edit HTML
3. Back up your template, Click Download full template.
4. Check the Expand Widget Templates box
5. Find these lines which will be near the top of your template:
<head> <b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/> <title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
6. Paste the second code below immediately below this code:
This is the second code
<b:if cond='data:blog.url == data:blog.homepageUrl'> <meta content='Place your blog description here' name='description'/> <meta content='Place your blog keywords here(separated by commas)' name='keywords'/> </b:if>
7. Enter your blog description between the single quote marks under description. Maximum 150 characters
8. Enter the keywords of your blog between the single quote marks under keywords. Each keyword or keyword phrase must be separated by a comma. Make sure your keywords do not exceed 200 characters
<b:if cond='data:blog.url == data:blog.homepageUrl'> <meta content='Blogging Tips and Tricks For Bloggers and Effective Blog Making and customize blogspot and philippine money making online' name='description'/> <meta content='blogging tips and tricks, blogger, effective blogging, customize blogspot, philippine money making, money on blogging, Adsense, blogger blogspot' name='keywords'/> </b:if>
9. Click on the Save Template button
To check if your meta tags are correctly added, you can use Meta Tag Analyzer