It is very important for any blog to have one central theme, a topic where everything you post will revolve around it. Keeping this will put your blog in a more favorable situation in search engines.
However, many bloggers struggle in working on one single theme. Most fell into the temptation of creating a whole new topic apart from what was decided earlier.
This is very true especially if you are not really familiar or you are not the expert of that particular central topic. It is very important therefore that we need be at least highly knowledgeable to the central theme of our blog.
But Vince, I do lots of things, I have 3 different kinds of work, so which one will be my topic?
To answer this question, let us answer first the following questions to lead us for the answer of the above question.
- What are the things that you regularly do? It maybe your work, your hobby, your business, anything that you do almost every day or at least once or twice a week.
- What are the things that you love to do? This may refer to your hobby and sports. Or sometimes, this can also refer to your current job which you love to do. It is very important to choose the word or job where you have a passion to do. This is what will keep you going. This will be the driving force of your blogging habits.
- What are the things where you have an adequate amount of knowledge? Granted that you have answered the first and second questions, now, you need to ask yourself to whether or not you have an adequate knowledge about that hobby or work that you have chosen to be your central theme.
From among these points, the next thing that we need to do is to expand our chosen theme. It is important that we will have the continuity of our topics to write over a period of time. It is what blogging is all about, writing all about the things that you love to do.
There are several ways to expand your central theme. But today, we will do the most fundamental theme expansion, brainstorming and outlining.
- Brainstorm all the subtopics that you can discuss about this central theme. If possible why not call your friend to help you brainstorm about the central topic. After all, two heads are better than one. Just make sure that as you brainstorm, you have a pen and a paper to list everything that popped out from your mind. If possible, try to target around 30 subtopics. This will be the core foundation of your blog.
- Outline the subtopics that you just have brainstormed. Now let us say that you already have the list of topics. Try to arrange them as if you are trying to make a book. This will put you into an advantage of having your first ebook later if you wish to make and sell your own ebook.
- Write a short summary in every subtopic. For the moment that you are not ready yet to make your posts, just try to write an overview about the subtopics. This will remind you later about what you have written about.
- Deal with the subtopics one by one and see if there could be other subtopics beneath them. This will take you deeper to more relevant topics to write about. Doing this will widen your horizons about your topic. This will also make you the expert of your theme.
I hope this post will help dig deeper with your blog’s central theme. This one of the keys in creating a content-rich highly themed blog.